Skip to main content

Blog 1 - Becoming Filipino

A photo of Kyle (right). Photo credit: Kyle Jennerman

 I’m a fan, follower, subscriber or call it what ever you want. I’m talking about Becoming Filipino. It’s a YouTube channel created by Kyle Jennerman also known as Kulas (his Filipino name).

Basically, Kyle films his daily life in the Philippines and share it to the world. From my understanding, Kyle is a Canadian, living in the Philippines for several years now and has traveled 80 provinces of the Philippines. 

Life in the Philippines is very simple compare to the western world like Canada. I know that very well because I’m a Filipino. 

Sometimes, I wonder what compelled Kyle to moved to the Philippines. For many Filipinos, the main reason why they migrated to other countries is because of financial reasons. Some are just really tired of the politics and corruption.

For me, aside from financial reason, one of the reasons that compelled me to move to Canada is because of the health care system. My wife had cesarean when she gave birth to our son and basically we didn’t pay anything. I had appendicitis and same thing, I didn’t pay anything.

Moreover, way back then, I was still single and planning to raise my family (which I’ve done) in Canada. 

Moving to any country in the world has its own advantages and disadvantages. It’s up to you to decide which one is heavier and what makes you happy and I think that is what compelled Kulas to move and stay in the Philippines - happiness.

Maybe when I retire, I will go back to my homeland to live a simple life.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 6 - Unemployed, Covid-19 and autism

Generally, rainbows are considered a good sign. The picture was taken on my way to work and sadly it was my last day at work too. I was terminated without cause.  This pandemic or Covid 19 that we're experiencing impacted everyone at different levels of hardship. I don't think I have to enumerate them one by one but I'm pretty sure you know what I mean: from losing their jobs, loved ones and up to being quarantined or isolating.  In my case, it's a lot tougher because not only I lost my job, my son has severe autism too. My son is 13 years old and he's non-verbal. He doesn't know how to read, he's not potty trained, you have to help him when eating and the list of the things he can't do will pretty much fill this blog entirely.  Because of my son's condition, our lifestyle is very limited. My wife and I can't go out and take my son to a gathering. It's either my wife or I will go. Work schedules too can be challenging. When the pandemic broke

Blog 5 - Should you migrate to Canada if your life in your country is already good?

This will be a very contentious topic. I’m not here to argue but to share my own views and hoping my views will enlighten you.  Before I migrated to Canada, I was working in a bank as loan staff in the Philippines for 7 years, I was still single and just completed my MBA from the University of City Of Manila. I can say I have a good and stable job and well educated in my own country.  I decided to migrate to Canada to start a family and hoping for a brighter future for my children and because of the health care system. I accepted the fact that if I migrated to Canada, my banking career will be gone and all my educational attainments will not be recognized. All of these were explained during the orientation for immigrants. I know everyone has their own reasons why they migrated to a different country and I will not be able to cover every reason.  In the Philippines "colonial mentality" very prevalent. It's a mentality of some Filipinos where other nations are superior and