Skip to main content

Blog 6 - Unemployed, Covid-19 and autism


Generally, rainbows are considered a good sign. The picture was taken on my way to work and sadly it was my last day at work too. I was terminated without cause. 

This pandemic or Covid 19 that we're experiencing impacted everyone at different levels of hardship. I don't think I have to enumerate them one by one but I'm pretty sure you know what I mean: from losing their jobs, loved ones and up to being quarantined or isolating. 

In my case, it's a lot tougher because not only I lost my job, my son has severe autism too. My son is 13 years old and he's non-verbal. He doesn't know how to read, he's not potty trained, you have to help him when eating and the list of the things he can't do will pretty much fill this blog entirely. 

Because of my son's condition, our lifestyle is very limited. My wife and I can't go out and take my son to a gathering. It's either my wife or I will go. Work schedules too can be challenging. When the pandemic broke out, the school was cancelled as well and so our son needs to stay home. Good thing work from home was an option in our jobs. 

You may say "what's the big deal? Normal kids stayed home too?". Well, my son is a special child which simply means he has special needs. Unlike other normal kids, you can't give my son some activities such as assignments, online learning, games, etc. and expect it to do these activities on his own. 

Right now, we're teaching him matching shapes and colours. That's how basic it is. He likes solitary activities which is a no, no for an autistic kid. His mind has to be occupied by interacting with a human being. Otherwise, he'll not improve or worse, regress. 

TV doesn't even pique his interest. We have Disney+, YouTube, NetFlix, you name it but nothing works for him. 

My son likes to do is eating. He's a hearty eater. He doesn't like soft drinks, juice and milk. He only drinks water. 

Autism doesn't have a cure. Some kids got better and some kids are not. There are some autistic kids that have a high level of intelligence like having a photographic memory. In my son's case, it's the opposite. He's 13 years old but has a brain of 1-year-old, literally. 

So looking for a job that will fit our situation will be tough. All I have to do is be tougher and hope for a big miracle and hoping someday autism will just miraculously disappear.  

My son's hand holding my thumb.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7 - Some Canadian cultures that maybe shocking for new Filipino immigrants

“This is good, eh?” You might hear the “eh” at the end of each sentence with some native Canadian English speakers. It’s like the same with the “eh” of the Batangeno. Saying good night when leaving work even though it’s just 5 pm or earlier. At first, this is very awkward but I adapted already.   You don’t invite your coworkers to eat when lunchtime. Unlike in the Philippines, you always invite your coworkers to eat.   Sometimes I will just hear some of my coworkers sitting beside me munching their lunch.   There are no excursions. In the Philippines, during summertime, coworkers plan a getaway to a resort or beach. So far in my more than 15 years of living in Canada haven’t experienced it.   During summer sunset is 10:30 pm and sunrise is 5 am. During winter the sun is gone by 5 pm and rises at 7 am. In the Philippines day, time and nighttime always get an equal share of the 24 hours and there are only two seasons: summer and rainy season.   A vehicle is a necessity in Canada. In the

Blog 1 - Becoming Filipino

A photo of Kyle (right). Photo credit: Kyle Jennerman  I’m a fan, follower, subscriber or call it what ever you want. I’m talking about Becoming Filipino. It’s a YouTube channel created by Kyle Jennerman also known as Kulas (his Filipino name). Basically, Kyle films his daily life in the Philippines and share it to the world. From my understanding, Kyle is a Canadian, living in the Philippines for several years now and has traveled 80 provinces of the Philippines.  Life in the Philippines is very simple compare to the western world like Canada. I know that very well because I’m a Filipino.  Sometimes, I wonder what compelled Kyle to moved to the Philippines. For many Filipinos, the main reason why they migrated to other countries is because of financial reasons. Some are just really tired of the politics and corruption. For me, aside from financial reason, one of the reasons that compelled me to move to Canada is because of the health care system. My wife had cesarean when she gave bir